We used to have a cat called Tiger.
我们曾经养了一只名叫老虎的猫。
He was a beautiful tabby with a great deal of character.
他是一只漂亮的虎斑猫,很有个性。
He was a natural hunter, and very soon no mouse dared to show its face in our house.
他是一个天生的猎人,很快就没有老鼠敢在我们家里露面了。Unfortunately Tiger also used to catch a lot of birds and this made him very unpopular with some of the neighbors.
不幸的是,老虎也经常抓鸟,这使得他在一些邻居中非常不受欢迎。
One day, just after his second birthday, Tiger disappeared.
有一天,就在他的第二个生日之后,老虎消失了。
Perhaps he was run over by a car, for at that time we lived near a busy street.
也许他被车轧了,因为那时我们住在一条繁忙的街道附近。
Although we offered a reward. 尽管我们提供了奖励。
We never discovered what had happened to him and we never saw him again.
我们不知道他发生了什么,从此再也没有见过他。
每日晨读《一个男孩和一个女孩》Many boys and girls in western countries wear the same clothes.
在西方国家,很多男孩和女孩穿一样的衣服。
Many of them have long hair, so it is hard to tell whether they are boys or girls.
他们中的许多人有长头发,所以很难辨别他们是男孩还是女孩。
One day an old man is sitting on a chair near a pool.
一天,一个老人正坐在靠近池边的椅子上。
A person is beside him.
一个人在他身边。
The old man asks the person, “Is that a boy or a girl in the pool?”
老人问那个人,“在泳池里的那个是男孩还是女孩?“
The person answers, “A girl. She is my daughter.”
那个人答道,“是个女孩儿。她是我女儿。”
“Oh, sorry,” the old man says.
“哦, 对不起,” 老人说。
“I didn't know you were her mother.”
“我不知道你是她的母亲。”
“You are wrong,” the person says.
“I'm her father.”
“你错了,”这个人说。
“我是她的父亲”。
每日晨读《一个理发师的笑话》