Linda was a good girl, but she was often late for school.
琳达是一个好女孩,但她经常上学迟到。
One day, she was late again. When she came in, Mr. Clark, her teacher said angrily, "I'll tell your father if you are late again." Linda didn't want him to do that. Because her father was very strict with her.
一天,琳达又迟到了。当她进来的时候,她的老师克拉克先生生气地说:"如果你再迟到, 我就通知你爸爸。"琳达不想他那么做,因为她爸爸对她要求很严格。
The next morning, Linda got up early. She hurried to school. At the school gate, she stopped. Because there was a wallet on the ground. As she stood there, she heard the first bell, "What shall I do?" she asked herself, "I'll turn it in first." She decided. And so she did.
第二天,琳达起床很早。她匆忙去上学。在学校大门口,她停下来了。因为地上有一个钱夹。当她站在那儿时,她听见了第一遍铃声,"我该怎么办呢?"她自言自语,"我要先把它交上去。"她下定决定,于是她就是这么做了。
When she hurried into her classroom, Mr. Clack was already beginning his class.
当她匆匆走进教室的时候,克拉克先生已经开始讲课了。
"Linda! Didn't I tell you to be here on time?" Mr. Clack said as he saw her.
"琳达,我没有告诉你按时来吗?"克拉克先生一看到琳达就说。
"I'm sorry, sir," Linda tried to explain, "I'm late because I had to…?"
"对不起,先生。"琳达努力解释,"我迟到是因为我不得不……"
"I don't listen to any excuse," Mr. Clack stopped her. "If you can't get here on time, I have to tell your father."
"我不想听任何借口,"克拉克阻止道, "如果你不能准时到这儿,我不得不告诉你父亲。"
"But Mr. Clack. It's …it's unfair!"
"但是,克拉克先生,这是…..这是不公平的!"
"Unfair! How dare you say that?" Mr. Clack said angrily, "I'll report you to the headmaster."
"不公平!你怎么敢那么说!"克拉克先生愤怒的说,"我要把你的事情汇报给校长!"
"I was only trying to do a good deed," Linda thought,"and now…" She couldn't keep back her tears.
"我只想做一件好事,"琳达心想,"但是现在……"她的眼泪阻止不住流下来。
When the bell rang for the break, the door opened and Mr. White, the headmaster came in. He was holding a wallet in his hand, "Excuse me, Mr. Clack. Is this your wallet?"
当下课铃声响起时,教室的门开了,校长怀特先生走了进来。他的手里拿着一个钱夹:"打扰一下,克拉克先生,这是你的钱夹吗?"
"Oh, yes. It's my wallet. Who found it? I must thank him."
"哦,是我的。是谁找到的?我一定谢谢他。"
"Linda found it and turned it in before school started." Mr. White said.
"琳达发现的,并在上课前把它交来了。"怀特先生说。
Mr. Clack's face slowly turned red. He looked at Linda and said, "I'm very sorry. Linda. I take back what I said."
克拉克先生的脸渐渐红了,他看了看琳达,惭愧地说:"对不起,琳达,我收回我说过的话。
"And I'm sorry. Mr. Clack. I'll try not to be late again." Linda said.
"我也不对,克拉克先生,我下次尽量不再迟到了。"琳达说。
be late for school 上学迟到
angrily (angry 的副词形式)
be strict with sb. 对某人要求严格
get up early 起床很早
hurry to school 勿忙去上学
on the ground 在地上
turn…in 上交……
decide v. 决定
hurry into the classroom 匆忙走进教室
already adv. 已经
on time 按时,准时
try to do sth. 尽力做某事;努力做某事
explain v. 说明;解释
excuse n. 借口;理由
stop sb. 阻止某人
have to 必须;不得不
unfair adj. 不公平的,不公正的
dare v. 胆敢
report v. 报告,汇报
do a good deed 做一件好事
thought (think 的过去式)
keep back 阻止
tear n. 眼泪
ring v. 发出铃声
break n. 间断;休息
hold sth. in one's hand 某人手里拿着某物
slowly adv. 缓慢地,慢慢地
turn red 变红
take back 拿回,收回