So you saw the title for this English lesson
你看到这节英语课的标题了吗
and you clicked on it.
你点击了它
And you might be wondering if the title is about mean things
你可能想知道这个标题是不是关于卑鄙的事情
that you should never say in English.
你永远不应该用英语说
"Why is Bob doing an English lesson about this?"
“鲍勃为什么要上这方面的英语课?”
Well, these are things you should never say,
这些是你永远不该说的
but I think it's important as you read things in English,
但我认为这很重要 因为你用英语阅读东西
and as you watch things in English,
当你看英语节目时
and as you listen to things in English,
当你用英语听东西的时候
I think it's important for you to know these phrases.
我认为你了解这些短语很重要
They are really mean.
他们真的很刻薄
I'm sure, you're curious to find out what the phrases are.
我敢肯定 你很想知道这些短语是什么
So we'll take a look at them in this English lesson.
所以我们将在这节英语课上看一下它们
(upbeat music)
(欢快的音乐)
Well, are you ready?
你准备好了吗?
Are you ready to learn some really mean English phrases?
你准备好学习一些真正刻薄的英语短语了吗?
Here's the first one.
这是第一个
The first phrase is, "You'll never amount to anything."
第一句话是 “你永远不会有任何成就 ”
This is something that maybe a parent will say to a child
这是父母可能会对孩子说的话
or maybe a teacher will say to someone.
或者老师会对某人说
And when you say to someone you'll never amount to anything,
当你对某人说你永远不会有任何成就
what it means is that you don't think
这意味着你不认为
they will ever be successful.
他们将永远成功
You don't think that they'll ever have a good job
你认为他们永远不会有一份好工作吗
or a good life.
或是美好的生活
You think that they'll never amount to anything.
你认为他们永远不会有任何成就
Definitely a mean thing to say.
这绝对是一句刻薄的话
And usually, it's something that is said
通常情况下 人们会说
by someone in authority-a grandparent,
由某位权威人士——一位祖父母
or a parent, or a teacher.
或是父母或是老师
Those are the kinds of people that come to mind
这就是我想到的那种人
when I think about this phrase.
当我想到这个短语时
It's definitely mean and you should definitely never say it.
这绝对是刻薄的 你绝对不应该说出来
The next mean phrase is the phrase,
下一个意思是
"You're just like your mother."
“你就像*妈一样 ”
Or, "You're just like your father."
或者 “你就像你父亲一样 ”
This is not a nice thing to say to someone,
对别人说这不是件好事
even though people's moms and dads have good qualities.
尽管人们的父母都有很好的品质
When we use this phrase, we're usually referring
当我们使用这个短语时 我们通常指的是
to something about the person's mother or father
关于某人的母亲或父亲
that isn't very pleasant.
这可不太愉快
Sometimes when two people are fighting in a relationship,
有时当两个人在一段关系中争吵时
the husband might say to the wife
丈夫可能会对妻子说
or the wife might say to the husband
或者妻子可能会对丈夫说
one of these two phrases, the husband might say,
这两个短语中的一个 丈夫可能会说
"You're just like your mother."
“你就像*妈一样 ”
And the wife might say, "You're just like your father."
妻子可能会说 “你就像你父亲一样 ”
Not a nice thing to say.
这不是一句好话
And it's usually, not used in a positive way.
而且它通常不会以积极的方式使用
There are small scenarios where you can use it
有一些小场景可以使用它
in a positive way.
以积极的方式
But most of the time, if you say to someone,
但大多数时候 如果你对某人说
"Ah, you're just like your mother."
“啊 你就像*妈一样 ”
It's usually not a nice thing to say.
这通常不是一件好事
The next mean phrase is the phrase,
下一个意思是
"Don't quit your day job."
“不要放弃你的日常工作 ”
This is something you might hear someone yell.
你可能会听到有人大喊大叫
If you're watching someone who's singing,
如果你在看唱歌的人
or doing karaoke, or playing a guitar,
或者唱卡拉OK 或者弹吉他
and maybe they're doing it for the first time,
也许这是他们第一次这么做
someone might think that their singing isn't very good.
有人可能会认为他们的歌唱不太好
And so they might yell from the audience.
所以他们可能会在观众面前大喊大叫
"Don't quit your day job."
“不要放弃你的日常工作 ”
Not a very nice thing to say.
这不是一件很好的事情
And obviously, what it means is this.
显然 这意味着什么
The person thinks that you're not very good at singing,
那个人认为你不擅长唱歌
or playing guitar, or whatever you're doing.
或者弹吉他 或者你在做什么
And that if you have a job that you go to every day
如果你每天都有工作
and that's where you make money, you should keep doing that.
这就是你赚钱的地方 你应该继续这样做
Don't quit your day job.
不要放弃你的日常工作
I'm happy to say that no one has ever written that
我很高兴地说 从来没有人写过这个
in the comments below my English lessons,
在我的英语课下面的评论中
even way back when I was just getting started,
即使是在我刚开始的时候
no one said, "Hey, Bob, English lessons, aren't very good.
没有人说:“嘿 鲍勃 英语课不太好
Don't quit your day job."
不要放弃你的日常工作 "
And I'm glad no one did,
我很高兴没人这么做
'cause that would've been very discouraging.
因为那会让人很沮丧
The next mean phrase is actually a question.
下一个短语实际上是一个问题
And it's another mean phrase where you compare someone
这是另一个比较别人的短语
to someone else.
给别人
If someone said to you,
如果有人对你说
"Why can't you be more like your brother?"
“你为什么不能更像你哥哥呢?”
"Why can't you be more like your cousin?"
“你为什么不能更像你的表哥呢?”
When someone asks you this question,
当有人问你这个问题
what they're saying is that your brother
他们说的是你哥哥
or cousin is amazing.
或者说表哥很了不起
They've done something remarkable
他们做了一些了不起的事
and incredible in their life.
在他们的生活中是不可思议的
And then they're asking you that question.
然后他们问你这个问题
"Why can't you be more like your brother?"
“你为什么不能更像你哥哥呢?”
"Why can't you be more like your cousin?"
“你为什么不能更像你的表哥呢?”
Not a nice question to have.
这不是一个好问题
Again, this is a question that would usually be asked
同样 这是一个通常会被问到的问题
by maybe a parent or a grandparent.
可能是父母或祖父母
Someone that knows you well and obviously knows someone
一个很了解你的人 很明显他认识一个人
that they can compare you to.
他们可以和你相比
"So why can't you be more like your brother?"
“那你为什么不能更像你哥哥呢?”
"Why can't you be more like your sister?"
“你为什么不能更像你姐姐呢?”
"Why can't you be more like your cousin?"
“你为什么不能更像你的表哥呢?”
You know what I think though, you should just be you.
你知道我怎么想的 你应该是你自己
That's usually the best person that you can be.
这通常是你能成为的最好的人
The next mean English phrase is the phrase,
下一个英语短语是短语
"Is that the best you've got?"
“这是你最好的吗?”
This is a phrase that someone like a coach might say
这是像教练这样的人可能会说的一句话
after you try really hard to do something
在你努力做某事之后
in a game or a practice.
在游戏或练习中
Maybe you're on a soccer or football team,
也许你在足球队或足球队
and you kick the ball as hard as you can.
你尽可能用力踢球
And it goes further than it's ever gone before.
而且它比以前走得更远
If the coach was then to ask you
如果教练当时问你
"Is that the best you've got?"
“这是你最好的吗?”
That would be very discouraging,
这将非常令人沮丧
because what they're saying is that whatever you did
因为他们说无论你做了什么
that you thought was really good,
你觉得很好
they didn't think it was very good at all.
他们觉得一点也不好
So, that's the next phrase.
这就是下一个短语
The next mean phrase, "Is that the best you've got?"
下一句话的意思是:“这是你最好的吗?”
The next mean English phrase is the phrase,
下一个英语短语是短语
"Move over, let me do it."
“让开 让我来 ”
This is a phrase that someone might say to you
这是某人可能会对你说的一句话
in the kitchen, maybe if you're cooking or baking something.
在厨房 如果你在做饭或烤东西
And if they don't think you're doing a very good job,
如果他们觉得你做得不好
if they think that you're messing up the recipe,
如果他们认为你弄乱了菜谱
they might say, "Move over, let me do it."
他们可能会说 “让开 让我来做 ”
It means they don't have confidence in you.
这意味着他们对你没有信心
It means they don't trust you.
这意味着他们不信任你
It means they think that you're just not doing
这意味着他们认为你只是没做什么
a very good job.
非常好的工作
So that's the next mean phrase, "Move over, let me do it.'
这就是下一个刻薄的短语 “让开 让我来做 ”
The next mean English phrase
下一个意思是英语短语
is I think the meanest one of all,
是我认为最卑鄙的一个
and it's the phrase, "You suck."
这是一句话 “你真烂 ”
Maybe you've gone to a sports game
也许你去看体育比赛了
and maybe a player on the field has made a lot of mistakes
也许一个球员在球场上犯了很多错误
and you might hear one of the fans yell.
你可能会听到其中一个粉丝的叫喊声
"You suck."
“你真烂 ”
It's not a nice thing to say at all.
这根本不是一件好事
It means that the person thinks not only
这意味着这个人不仅思考
are you doing a bad job, but they don't like you at all.
你做得不好 但他们一点也不喜欢你
They don't like you.
他们不喜欢你
They don't like what you're doing.
他们不喜欢你做的事
They think that you're failing at what you're doing
他们认为你在做的事情上失败了
and they're just yelling, "You suck."
他们只是大喊:“你真烂 ”
This can happen as well at a concert.
这也可能发生在音乐会上
I was at a concert once where the band that was opening
有一次我在一场音乐会上 乐队开幕了
for the other band wasn't very good.
对另一个乐队来说不是很好
And someone in the audience actually yelled, "You suck!"
观众中有人大声喊道:“你真烂!”
And then they started throwing stuff
然后他们开始扔东西
at the people on the stage, not a nice thing to do.
在台上的观众面前 这不是一件好事
And definitely, when you yell, "You suck,"
当然 当你大喊“你真烂”
it's not a nice thing to say.
这不是一件好事
The next mean English phrase is the phrase,
下一个英语短语是短语
'You're a disappointment."
“你真令人失望 "
Again, this is something that would probably be said
再说一次 这可能会被说出来
by a mean parent, or a mean grandparent,
一个卑鄙的父母或者一个卑鄙的祖父母
or a mean coach, or a mean teacher.
或者卑鄙的教练 或者卑鄙的老师
When someone says you're a disappointment,
当有人说你很失望
it means that they thought you were going to do better.
这意味着他们认为你会做得更好
And then they were disappointed
然后他们失望了
when you did whatever you did.
当你做了你所做的一切
It is not a very nice thing to say to someone,
对别人说这不是件好事
especially if that person is trying their best.
尤其是当那个人正在尽力的时候
Think about yourself for instance.
比如想想你自己
Let's say, you studied English for six months,
比如说 你学了六个月英语
and you took an English test, and you failed.
你参加了一次英语考试 但你失败了
'Cause that kind of happens sometimes.
因为这种情况有时会发生
If someone you know really well
如果你认识的人
like a spouse or a parent said to you,
就像一位配偶或父母对你说的
"You're a disappointment."
“你真令人失望 ”
That would be extremely mean.
那就太卑鄙了
And it would make you feel really, really bad.
这会让你感觉非常非常糟糕
Instead, I think it would be better
相反 我认为这样会更好
if they gave you a little bit of encouragement.
如果他们给你一点鼓励
They could say something like,
他们可能会说
"I'm sure you'll do better next time."
“我相信你下次会做得更好 ”
So if you hear someone say to someone,
所以如果你听到有人对某人说
"You're a disappointment,"
“你真令人失望 ”
maybe walk up to that person later and say,
也许过会儿走到那个人跟前说
"Hey, I heard that someone was mean to you,
“嘿 我听说有人对你很刻薄
but I think you'll be better next time."
但我认为你下次会更好 "
Well, hey, thanks for watching this English lesson
谢谢收看这节英语课
about mean English phrases
关于中庸英语短语
that you should never say to anyone,
你不应该对任何人说
but I think it's important for you
但我认为这对你很重要
to be able to recognize them,
为了能认出他们
if you read them or hear them someday.
如果你有一天读到或听到它们
Remember, if this is your first time here,
记住 如果这是你第一次来这里
don't forget to click that red subscribe button over there.
别忘了点击那边的红色订阅按钮
I always appreciate a good thumbs up
我总是喜欢竖起大拇指
after you watch a video.
看了视频之后
And if you have the time, why don't you stick around
如果你有时间 为什么不留下来呢
and watch another English lesson.
再看一节英语课