1.call on后接某人,指进行短暂的访问,访问者与受访问者一般只有社交或公务关系,如:call on a customer(拜访一位顾客)。
Sofia was intending to call on Miss Kitts.
索菲娅打算去拜访基茨小姐。
The President paid a courtesy call on Emperor Akihito.
总统对明仁天皇进行了礼节性的拜访。
Let's call on John.
咱们去看看约翰吧。
I will call on you when I am in town.
我到城里之后会去看你。
I'll call on you in my spare time.
有空我去找你。
I'm going to call on one of my former classmates.
我要去看望我的一位老同学。
She'll call on you this afternoon.
她今天下午要来见你。
She called on us merely for the sake of courtesy.
她来访只是为了礼貌。
还有含义:呼吁,号召;要求,找某人;(短暂)拜访,探访;看望
We base this call on grounds of social justice and equity.
我们基于社会正义和公平发出这一呼吁。
They called on Western nations to commit more money to the poorest nations
他们呼吁西方国家向极端贫困国家投入更多的钱。
He called on the United States to play a more effective role in bringing peace to the region
他呼吁美国在实现该地区的和平方面发挥更加富有成效的作用。
He has called on the government to lift its embargo on trade with Vietnam.
他呼吁政府解除对越南的贸易禁运。
The demonstrators called on the government to publish a list of registered voters.
游行者呼吁政府公布注册选民的名单。
He questioned the government's commitment to peace and called on it to make a gesture of good will
他对政府致力和平的承诺提出质疑,并呼吁政府做出友好的表示。
General Martin Bonnet called on the rebels to surrender
马丁·邦尼特将军呼吁反叛者投降。
The Baltic republics have called on the Scandinavian countries for help.
波罗的海诸共和国已呼吁斯堪的纳维亚诸国提供援助。
The President called on his people to make sacrifices for the good of their country.
总统号召人民为国家的利益作出牺牲。
I call on everyone to renounce the use of violence and armed struggle
我呼吁每个人都放弃使用暴力和武装斗争。
He called on former Republican voters to return to the fold.
他号召昔日拥护共和党的选民重新回到支持共和党的行列。
The President called on educators and politicians to help him restructure American education
总统号召教育家和政治家们帮助他重新调整美国的教育体系。
Mr Gore called on voters and party workers to turn out in strength
戈尔先生号召选民和政党工作人员积极前来投票。
President Hussein called on all countries in the Middle East to scrap nuclear or chemical weapons 侯赛因总统号召中东所有国家放弃核武器和化学武器。
One of Kenya's leading churchmen has called on the government to resign.
肯尼亚一位高级宗教人士要求政府下台。
The job was to call on all her diplomatic skills and moral courage.
这项工作需要她发挥全部的外交才能和捍卫正义的勇气。
In case of difficulty, just call on me.
如有困难,找我好了。
2.call at后接某个地方或以somebody's表示的某人的住所,如:call at her office(去她的办公室拜访),call at Miss Susan's(拜访苏珊小姐家)。
I'll now call at the vicarage and report to you in due course.
我现在要去教区牧师家拜访,然后适时向你汇报情况。
She always called at the vicarage whenever she was in the area
只要她在那一带,她总会去拜访教区牧师。
Two men claiming to be police officers called at the pastor's house and took him away
两个自称是警察的人来到牧师家里,把他带走了。
I called at Mr Brown's office yesterday.
昨天我去了布朗先生的办公室。
She asked him to call at brown's hotel to see her daughter.
她要他去布朗旅馆见她的女儿。
A market researcher called at the house where he was living
一位市场调查人员造访了他的住处。
3. drop in指顺便拜/走访,非正式的访问,通常事先没打招呼或在计划之外。
Drop in any time you want to. 你随时都可以来串串门。
Drop in when you are free.
得闲来玩。
Whenever I'm up there I always drop in
每次我到那儿都会顺便去看看。
Drop in and see me when you're ready. Only don't take too long about it.
方便的时候来我这里坐坐,只是别让我等太久。
She dropped in to see us yesterday. 她昨天顺便来看望我们。
提示
如果后接人,用drop in on;如果后接地点,用drop in at。
I thought I'd drop in on you while I was passing.
我曾想路过时顺便来看看你。
I dropped in on him on my way home.
我在回来的路上趁便去他家看了看。
I dropped in on Alice last night. 我昨晚顺便去看了艾丽丝。
I dropped in at Uncle li's on my way home yesterday.
我昨天回家时顺路儿去看了看李大爷。
On my way back from school I dropped in at Mary's house. 在从学校回家的路上,我顺便到玛丽家去看了看。
4. visit为正式用语,可以是逗留时间较长的访问,可指友好访问、社交性访问或职务性访问。
She went to visit relatives in Wales.
她去威尔士看望亲戚了。
She made a resolution to visit her relatives more often.
她决定要多走走亲戚。
I'm going to the hospital to visit my brother.
我要去医院探望我弟弟。
I try to visit my parents every few weeks.
我尽量每隔几个星期看望一次父母。
We should really go and visit them soon.
我们的确应该马上去看看他们。
I have an open invitation to visit my friend in Japan.
我在日本的朋友邀请我随时去看他。
The Prime Minister is visiting Japan at the moment.
首相目前正在访问日本。
You should visit your dentist at least twice a year.
你应该每年至少去看两次牙科医生。
For more information, visit our website.
欲知详情,请访问我们的网站。
For current prices please visit our website.
有关目前的价格,请访问我们的网站。
It is a long time since he has visited his native Chile.
他很久没有回故乡智利了。
The prime minister is visiting in Africa. 首相正在非洲访问。
There's nothing in the world I'd like more than to visit New York.
访问纽约是我最想做的事。
President Bush is due to visit the country next month.
布什总统定于下月访问该国。
Come and visit us if you're ever in our part of the world.
什么时候到我们这个地方来,请来看看我们。
The President visited the area to see the devastation at first hand.
总统亲临该地区视察受损情况。
She visited a sick friend in the hospital this morning.
她今天上午探望了一位生病住院的朋友。
We don't live here. We're just visiting.
我们不住在这里,只作短期停留。
visit with sb
与某人聊天;与某人闲谈
Come and visit with me some time.
找个时间来跟我聊聊吧。
5.pay a visit(to)意为“去看望(某人),对……进行访问”,意同visit。
I'll pay a call on my friends.
我将去看朋友。
I paid a visit to Henry last Sunday. 我上星期天去看望了亨利。
Do pay us a visit next time you're in Birmingham
下次你来伯明翰一定要来看看我们。
If you pay a visit to Liu Hasheng's restaurant in Harbin, you will find 18 robots there.
如果你去哈尔滨刘哈生的餐厅,你会发现那里有18个机器人。
We shall pay a visit to the city. 我们将访问那座城市。
If you have time, pay a visit to the local museum.
你若有空,参观一下当地的博物馆。
Perhaps you would like to pay a visit to London.
也许,您乐意去游览一下伦敦。
He made an official visit to Tokyo in March.
他于三月到东京进行了一次公务访问。